Kevin Bruce Weed
I am a full-time musician, living and working in Orange County, California where I grew up in a musical family, starting piano and other instruments at an early age. I have been musical director for over 60 award-winning musical theater productions. Several of my students have gone on to careers in theater.
I am currently collaborating with Alyssa Wills on “Joan,” an opera about Joan of Arc. In addition, we plan to create an oratorio suitable for a choir performance, and an art song cycle for solo singer with piano or chamber orchestra.
- 1990-present Corona Del Mar High School accompanist and music director/conductor for musical theater.
- 1986-2018 Newport Harbor HS. accompanist and music director/conductor for musical theater.
- 2018-2020 St.Boniface Catholic Church choir director.
- 2014-2017 Musical Director for Arts and Learning Conservatory.
- Pianist/Conductor for a complete recording “Godspell” pit orchestra tracks for a touring production.
- Conductor for full orchestra productions of The Titanic, May 2011, and Disney’s Beauty And The Beast, May 2013 at Calvary Christian School, Downey; Kristi Goodner, Director.
- 2010 Self Realization Fellowship Christmas Choir.
- 1998-2006 Assistant music director for Opera Pacific’s Opera Camp.
- 1999-2007 Mystery Café/The Gourmet Detective, also composer and pianist.
- 2001-2004 Our Lady Of Refuge Catholic Church Children’s Choir.
- 2000-2002 Cor Marie Youth Choir.
- Guest and substitute conductor for: the Madrigal choir at Corona Del Mar High School, Prelude String Orchestra, Garden Grove/Orange County Symphony, Orange County Catholic Chorale
- 1998-2000 Associate conductor, Garden Grove Symphony.
- The Star of the East – for Orchestra
- Joan of Arc – The End, The Beginning for soprano and chamber orchestra.
- The Temptation of Jesus by Kevin Weed – for tenor (Satan), bass (Jesus)
- Songs and incidental music for “Shakespeare On The Harbor”, November 2014.
- 1986-2000 Composer/arranger (also percussionist, pianist and librarian) for the Garden Grove/Orange County Symphony:
- Concerto For Highland Bagpipe and Orchestra
- Glimmers of Christmas
- The Orchestra Song
- arrangements for singers including Lee Greenwood, Odetta, VocalWorks, Harry Babbit
- 14 Annual musicals and movies with the Da Vinci Academy at Newport Harbor High School
- Old World Overture for the “All Beethoven” concert of The Orange County Catholic Chorale and Meistersingers, 2009
- Rondo for Horn and Band for Pat Taylor and the Huntington Beach Concert Band
- Mystery Café/The Gourmet Detective – Abracadaver, Nancy Hardy and the Riddle of the Sphinx, Death Under Cover
- Harpsichord Concerto – for Corona Del Mar’s spring 2009 concert (Vivald’s Gloria)
- Organ Concerto, and Antiphonal Sonata for Brass and Organ for a 2009 joint concert with Praise Symphony Orchestra, Our Lady of Refuge Church and OCAGO
- Light Armour – 7 songs on the “light verse” of Richard Armour; for Judy Boland, Susan Junes and Sandy Bron, 2010
- In 2008, Kevin composed a program of Music for Organ and Bagpipes. Kevin, playing the bagpipes with Larry Kolokowski, organist, performed the program at First Presbyterian Church, Garden Grove, CA, and in Escondido; both of these were for local American Guild of Organists chapters.
- 1986-present – Accompanist for Newport-Mesa Unified School District at Newport Harbor High School and Corona Del Mar High School/Middle School. Tours to France, Poland, Canada, Washington DC., Hawaii, New Orleans.
- 2005-2011 – Cornelia Connelly High School. Tours to Italy, China, New York, England and Ireland.
- 2009-2011 – William Lock’s The Musica Sacra Singers, also organist
- 1985-2000 Pianist/percussionist for the Garden Grove/Orange County Symphony
- Pianist and organist for several concerts of Meistersingers, Brian Dehn, Director.
- Orange County Catholic Chorale – 3 years
- Voice adjudications and competitions SEP, NATS
- Vocal studios of Kathleen Martin, Susan Wong, Nadia Smeltzer, Patrick Goeser, Janet Smith.
- Recitals with: Alyssa Wills, Nadia Smeltzer, Hannah De Los Reyes, Steven Humenski.
- Whittier/La Mirada Civic Light Opera, rehearsal pianist.
- 1988-1998 Dance accompanist for ballet and modern dance classes and concerts – UCI, SAC, Cerritos College, Chapman University, West Coast Ballet Center
- 1982-1986 BonesWest – trombonist and pianist for BonesWest jazz trombone ensemble.
- Carden Hall – occasional concerts, musicals and graduations
- Solo recitals at CSU Fullerton; Newport Harbor High School; First Presbyterian Church of Garden Grove; The Gem Theater; Our Lady Of Refuge Church, Newport Public Library
- Currently I substitute for other organists around Orange County.
- 2018 – present – Self-Realization Fellowship in Fullerton.
- 2010 – 2020 – St. Boniface Catholic Church, Anaheim.
- 2017 – 2020 – Mission Basilica in San Juan Capistrano.
- 2005-2011 – Cornelia Connelly High School. Accompanist, organist for tours to Italy, China, England and Ireland, New York.
- 1990-2008 – Our Lady Of Refuge Catholic Church, Long Beach.
- 2008-2009 – La Purisima Catholic Church, Orange.
- 2007-2011 – Annual Orange County Prayer Breakfast.
- 1980-1981 – Studied organ with Dr. Thomas Harmon at UCLA.
- Sub-Dean for Orange County American Guild of Organists – 2 years
- 2005 – Australian tour with Four Seasons Youth Orchestra and Chorale
- Pianist for concerts in Sydney Opera House and Town Hall
- Organist for a special recital at St. James Episcopal Church, King Street with violist Dr. Christine Placilla
Bagpipes, penny whistle, Irish flute, harp:
- Bagpiper for OCMCO concerts and Christmas CD.
- Member of the band “Tradition”- winners of Best Band at Topanga Banjo/Fiddle Contest, and First Place Long Beach Bluegrass Festival
- The Irish Band, Innisfree – Three tours to American military bases in Okinawa and Japan
- Winner in Scottish Highland Bagpipe competitions:
- The MacCrimmon Quaich, Santa Rosa
- Southern California Piping Championship in Costa Mesa
- 3rd Place in open piobaireachd at Pleasanton
- Toured and competed with the pipe bands: Cabar Feidh, the Gordon Greys, LAPD, BeachCities Pipe Band
- “Brigadoon”: Musical Theater West, Chapman University, Downey CLO, Buena Park CLO, Irvine HS, Mission Viejo HS
- Penny Whistle player with Celtic Harper, Dennis Doyle on his recording,“Irish Blessings”
- Recorded on Highland Bagpipes: Rhythm of My Heart, by Rod Stewart; Tubular bells 2, by Mike Oldfield
- Bagpiper for the film – Battleship.
- How Can I Keep From Singing – Alyssa Wills, soprano; Kevin Weed, piano.
- Droplets – Solo piano tracks for the play “The Diviners” by Jim Leonard.
- Spontaneous Composition
- Celtic Piano
- Patriotic Piano
- Clementi Sonatinas
- Piano, organ, harpsichord, all keyboard instruments – sight reading, improvising, transposing, accompanying.
- Teaching and conducting from the keyboard.
- Coaching of vocal and instrumentalists for performances.
- Conducting, choral and instrumental, musical director for music theater.
- Composition, arranging, improvisation, transcription (writing down music from audio).
- Finale notation software -score and parts preparation for orchestra performance, recording, publishing. (But I still do plenty of writing by hand.)
- REAPER – Digital Audio Workstation. Basic editing, balancing, fixing, audio files and MIDI.
- Bagpipes and penny whistles, Irish and Scottish folk music, Indian kirtan.
- Percussion, trombone.